To reset your e-bike BMS battery, you have two methods to choose from: internal battery BMS reset and external BMS test (reverse charge).
- Internal Battery e-bike BMS Reset:
- Turn off the battery power.
- Remove the screws from the battery case.
- Place the battery open on a wooden table for your safety.
- Wear electrical gloves.
- Disconnect the battery from the BMS chip.
- Start charging the battery.
- Reconnect the battery to the BMS chip during charging.
This method sends a signal to the BMS chip by connecting it while charging, telling it to connect to the new device, and then resetting itself.
- External BMS Test (Reverse Charge):
- Prepare an adapter to pass current through the battery’s discharge port.
- The following tools are required: a DC Barral plug, two different colors of wire, and electrical insulation tape.
- Connect one wire to the positive terminal of the plug and securely fasten it.
- Next, attach the second wire to the plug’s negative terminal.
- Plug the battery charger into the adapter (make sure the ends of the wires do not touch) and measure the voltage. Make sure the multimeter reads positive to ensure the adapter is working properly.
After completing the preparation of the adapter, perform the following steps:
- Attach the adapter’s positive wire to the positive terminal of the battery discharge port.
- Attach the adapter’s negative wire to the battery discharge port’s negative terminal and maintain the connection for 20 seconds.
- Then charge the battery in the normal manner and test the battery life of the e-bike.
Both methods can be used to reset the Ebike BMS battery, just choose the method that works for you. Note that care should be taken when performing these steps to ensure safety.
MORE: How to test the BMS or charging system of an e-bike?